Sunday, October 27, 2013

Super Dungeon Explore: 2 Hero Game's Worth of Painting Finished

I finished what was needed for the basic version of Super Dungeon Explore, a 2 hero game.
  1. 2 Heros, Royal Paladin and Riftling Rogue
  2. 1 Kobold Shaman
  3. 2 Iron Scales
  4. 3 Knuckle Heads
  5. 2 Flingers
  6. 2 Treasure Chests
  7. 2 Kobold Warrens 
  8. Rex the Ogre

Up next for paint (and black primed just today) is the Dragon's Clutch stuff, comprised of the dragon Starfire and all his chillen, plus Egg Clutch Spawn, as well as treasure chests, Boo Booties and another hero, Ember Mage.

Riftling Rogue
Rex the Ogre

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Warmachine: Khador Kodiak Conversion

Since I am in a campaign and could be facing my first game this week, I figured I better build the one 'jack in my list that I didn't have built. How's that for campaign strategy? Build the models you tell everyone you'll use? That's me, the winner.

With the advent of larger warjacks by way of updated models and the fact I am 1) cheap 2) unmotivated to trade up to new models 3) loathe to use my favorite warjack as-is (Answer: all) I decided to upgrade the "classic" metal kit.

I added Behemoth legs to a Devastator/Spriggen metal waist. I also added original Kodiak hull spikes to his fists for yup, you guessed it, MORE SPIKES. I just remember when he had Hammerfist and sorta want to honor that tradition. Good old Hammerfist.

I ordered Beast 09 Black Ivan shoulder pads too (seen in pic one before final fitting). I canted the pose a bit and cut/tilted his head. All told I think it is a good "Pathfinder" pose and while he is a bit taller and more dynamic than the original model, it isn't crazy overt. He's just more spiky and hulky while looking more mobile. Yeah, I left his right foot up, wanted to keep that tread detail visible.

More after paint.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

So This Happened...

 Strange Aeons

Been busy traveling for work lately so I’ve tended to come home, kiss everyone in the house, cuddle and when they all sleep, attempt to glue things onto things or smear paint onto other things.
First, my buddy Finn got me the BONES Cthulhu… wicked fierce, that. I reposed it slightly, or really, just tidied up the pose so it wasn’t canted so forward. I’ll be using him as a Godling in Strange Aeons so I mounted his base onto a CD, which is the fashion for many things in Strange Aeons.

It gets bad from here.

Knowing that my BONES Werewolf took GW black primer but it remained the slightest bit tacky (remedied by normal layers of paint) I went to use a plastic-friendly black spray. I bought the wrong thing, used it and ended up with a permanently tacky, wet dust collector.
It gets better from here. Reading up in these here interwebnets I come find the consensus that Simple Green will do the trick. It totally did. The only paint it didn’t remove was what had properly dried and had stained into the plastic. Did not attack the BONES plastic and cleaned up really well.
A few coats of GW Black and we were back on schedule. I’ll post up a How-To for old squiddy when he’s painted.

Star Wars X Wing Miniatures

I’ve spent weeks to months on individual miniatures and terrain and never once did those posts come close to the tally-crushing popularity of a post about me chopping and regluing a pre-painted plastic space ship for 20 minutes. So I did it again. Now there are 2 B Wings in the stable. Also, picked up the Imperial Shuttle and yes, painted the engine glow. And straightened the top wing, factory glued wrong. And painted the guns. Cough.

Super Dungeon Explore

Concocted another water based stain to help speed paint the Dark Counsel for Super Dungeon Explore. Here is WIP, just need some highlights on the kobold skirt and to finish the basing.


Totally stuck with my Khador. A lot to paint and I’m not doing it. Built a ton of models recently, including 3 warjacks, two of which are Kodiak conversions and the last, a modified Devastator. More soon.