Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Bushido: Prefecture of Ryu Starter Set and New Arc Markers

Here is my painted Prefecture of Ryu set. I tried to make the colors more of the popping kind, such as you'd see in a military parade dress than something field worn. No better way to subjugate the populace than to disembark a large boat, burst into their villages quick step march with gleaming lacquer armor and fatigues which hide bleeding wounds, and remind them all who rules Jwar. Right now, they do.

Okay, laying it on thick. Truth is, the metallic blue really looks great in IRL and lends interest to the minis without a lot of effort. So that's the scheme I went with.

Up next, Kappa and Grey Pilgrim to get the Prefecture starter up to 50 rice, then more Ito to get that to 50 rice. After that? Some Savage Wave as long as my asshole friends leave me alone with all of this Shadow War jive :)

Related to friends who are not assholes, my buddy Joe has made a set of arc markers for all base sizes and I gotta say, it sure beats my old way of doing markers. I re-marked all of my Ito and this finished Prefecture set in about 40 minutes, which is pretty damn awesome. A set comes with all the sizes you are likely to need and handles straight and rounded bases. Just fix a model in there with a dollop of blu tac and you are off! Send him an email if you want to get a set, tell him Yeti sent you: tjkopena@gmail.com

Monday, April 10, 2017

TTCombat: Yu Pagoda Build Log 1

Today I received my TTCombat Yu Pagoda. Herein will rest my ongoing thoughts as I raise this beast to the sky for the glory of Clan Ito in GCT's Bushido game. Or for me, to snort. I'll explain.

First Impressions

The pagoda came in a well-sealed flat pack for the flight over the pond to the USA. Looks like everything arrived intact with no breaks.

Instructions were not included so I deduced that they are online somewhere.

Damn this thing smells terrific. Seriously. Laser cut MDF smells like your clothes after camping and I didn't realize I needed it in my life. The off cuts go immediately into a cup so my paint area smells awesome.

Sandable auto primer with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh spray
Army Painter Necrotic Flesh spray without sandable auto primer

One MDF off cut was used to test paint. I sprayed one side with Army Painter primer which the MDF drank right up. Later, I hit that side with some Krylon ultra-flat camouflage paint I had sitting around. Once dried, I coated with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh. Nope! MDF slaked it's thirst through the bottom coat. Closer but no cigar. Facing the inevitable, I ran to the store for some Rustoleum Grey sandable auto primer, same as I use on Forge World models. Sprayed on smooth, calmed to a nice coat and once dry I top coated with Army Painter necrotic flesh. Perfect!

As you can see, models fit on the floor sections well, for the most part. All Bushido models can fit on the wide ground floor level. On the second story only standard or small base models will fit. Given that this building may only see a bit of actual elevated play, I am not totally bummed about that. Seems reasonable that big models hate cardio and skip steps.

The details are good across the pieces so far.

Tomorrow I will start cleaning and laying out parts for glue. Stay tuned!