"Hey Matt! I saw your BFG ships on the Rocketship Games blog and had to see more! Could you tell me how you got that awesome gold effect on these ships?Your Nurgle fleet looks awesome and I bet that Terminus Est will make one badass flagship. Keep up the good work!
The Imp ships aren't really gold, more like a tannish-brown though what I did would be the prefect base for gold paint.
I used GW colors in this order, with a medium round brush for the drybrushing and detail brush for everything else.
1. Basecoat black.2. Graveyard Earth drybrushed 2x. First coat heavy, the second, lighter.
3. A light drybrush of desert yellow on the high points of the ship and edges to warm up the area.
4. Rotting Flesh drybrush, again, along highpoints and edges.
5. Metals are Mithrial Silver with a wash of Ice Blue and flow improver.
6. The light blue is a Kraft Cote off-white that has a touch of blue in it. You could simply mix a dot of Ice Blue into White for the same effect.
I think after the brown/tan foundation you could simply dry brush gold along the highpoints and it would look pretty damned good since most gold is undercoated in browns and tans. Let me know how it works out for you.